In March of 1939 seven local people filed with the New Mexico Corporation Commission to form a rural Electric Cooperative in the local territory to bring electricity to the rural area of Corona. The seven people involved in the original incorporation were Benjamin H. Roberts and Frances Lovelace of Corona, A.E. Huntsinger and Archie Straughn of Vaughn, Alex Hindi of Duran, and B.C. Berryman of Cedarvale. A small generation plant was built in Corona.
An electric distribution facility called the Vaughn Light and Power Company served the municipalities of Vaughn and Encino. The franchise had been granted to the company in 1929 and by 1949 the system’s equipment was in need of some serious maintenance work and was overloaded for the amount of existing consumers and as well as the projected growth in the future.
In Mountainair it is believed that electricity came to the city in 1928 by a franchise granted to Mr. T.L. Nunn. Before that time, Pop Shaffer and other residents had generators to furnish electricity to their residences and businesses. In 1929 Inland Utilities obtained all electrical utility rights in both Mountainair and Estancia. Inland Utilities built a power plant in Willard and furnished electricity to Mountainair, Willard and Estancia.
If you would like to read more about CNMEC History please click on the CNMEC History Link on the Left Navigation.
© Copyright 2012 Central New Mexico Cooperative, Inc. all rights reserved | Website design and development by Lobo Internet Services